The collection of the Galleria d’Arte Moderna of Roma Capitale includes over three thousand works, such as paintings, sculptures, drawings, engravings, which bear witness of the history of collecting art and culture in Rome at the turn of the nineteenth century and throughout the first half of the twentieth century.
In the heart of the city centre, few meters from the Trinità dei Monti, the building that houses the museum is a former cloistered monastery, dating from the end of the XVI century and close to the church of S. Giuseppe a Capo le Case. The monastery, home of the Discalced Carmelite order, was attested in 1600 in the area known as the “fratte” for its marginal position.
The artworks of the Gallery of Modern Art in Rome will offer a new and ideal reading of the correspondence between visual arts, literature and poetry in Rome, from the end of the XIX century to the 1960, when artists and writers worked together in a continuous exchange of ideas.
Part of the exhbition "Legami e corrispondenze. Images and words through the XX century in Rome", the Gallery hosts an installation by Francesco Vaccaro dedicated to one of the most popular and read Italian authors: Alberto Moravia.